Gift Vouchers

Gift vouchers available for all tuition, from only £25.00 See here for more details

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Stillwater Fly Fishing in the South!

Just back from a litle break in Dorset - wanted to do some saltwater fishing but the tides were against that idea, so went back to an old stillwater I used to fish long, long ago!
Rockbourne is, typical Southern stillwater commercial fishery. The main difference between these and our superior versions in the North is that we can catch and release - in the South you can't!  So if you buy a 3 fish permit - once you have caught them that's your fishing over and done unless you buy another ticket!
These 3 fish were nothing special about 10lbs in total, however these cost me £40 for 40 mins of fishing!
I have (or had!) quite a soft spot for Rockbourne. It is where I used to fish with Bill Sibbons who basically taught me all there is to know about stalking.
Mr Sibbons was a wonderful man and a great fly fisher, who invented the "When All Else Fails" fly a really excellant stalking nymph. If I had been able to practise the techniques that I had learned then maybe I would have got some bigger fish and been fishing a little longer than 40mins. However the fishery lakes, 5 in total were all coloured and 2 were in very poor condition making it almost impossible to see anything.
Back in the year Rockbourne was immaculate - crystal clear waters and big specimen fish, so I was very disappointed and has relgated this fishery to the "do not bother again list"
A great pity!

No comments:

Post a Comment