Gift Vouchers

Gift vouchers available for all tuition, from only £25.00 See here for more details

Wednesday 2 February 2011

Micro Flies

This is going to be my "theme" for this year when river fly fishing - using small flies. As the fish generally come under more and more fishing pressure, I  am sure that great a presentation of a very inconspicuous fly will pay dividends.
Plus how many times nowadays do we go to the river and not see any real "hatch" to speak of especially early Spring? In fact the only thing we can see moving or should I say flying about are likely to be Chironomids.

A good mate of mine, Gareth Lewis, is a real ambassador for all flies small

Have a look around his blog site you 'll see what I mean.......Look Here

If you tie your own then you'll need some 20's to 28 hooks!!

4 comments:

  1. A huge thanks for the plug Mike, and I know you'll have loads of fun with the small stuff! Careful mind, it becomes a bit of an addiction!

    See you soon,

    Gareth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure presentation is everything with these micro flies so I'm very surprised that they are tied on eyed hooks. As an former match angler, most of which slogging away of the NW canals were presentation is everything and spade end hooks will massively out-fish eyed hooks of the same size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problems Gareth, credit where credit is due!
    I'll let you know how the fish like them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Stuart
    I have no experience of spade hooks not having done any maggot drowning! You may be on to something! Maybe a topic that requires further investigation and don't forget that presentation is important with any fly not just the very small stuff!

    ReplyDelete