Gift Vouchers

Gift vouchers available for all tuition, from only £25.00 See here for more details

Wednesday 13 October 2010

Intermediate casters

Had some lessons over the last few days with guys that have been fly fishing for a while and wanted to improve their casting techniques.

I enjoy doing any lesson but these I particularly enjoy. It is all about being very accurate with the diagnosis of what is going on with their existing style and technique.
It's very easy to jump to the obvious - too much wrist, not stopping the rod in the right place etc.
However these may not be the only things going wrong.

This is where the 6 point diagnostic technique comes into play - As an instructor I always look at what is happening to the line first - is it going out straight, hitting the water, hooking to the side or falling in a heap?
Then I look at the rod - acceleration, stops, power application?
Then I look at what is happening to the arm, hand and wrist?

Once I have these observations I can "mend the problems" in the reverse order i.e. I alter the movement of the arm, hand or wrist first - then mend anything required in the rod movement - then observe the effects on the line.

A simple formula that works well - provided you know what you are looking for ,of course!!

It certainly worked with Phil from Ormskirk and Oliver from Chorley!

Day off tomorrow but then on the Ribble doing speys and roll casts with 2 of my trainees.

No comments:

Post a Comment